Tutorial: Beginner's E-Juice Guide
What is E-Juice: E-Juice Guide
Some people call it Juice while others may call it Liquid or E-Liquid, but for the sake of clarity in this Tutorial we will refer to it as E-Juice from this point going forward. So what exactly is E-Juice and what purpose does it serve? E-Juice is a liquid that is commonly used in an electronic cigarette / personal vaporizer. The electronic cigarette / personal vaporizer heats up the E-Juice and turns it into vapor which is then inhaled. E-Juice may or may not contain nicotine and comes in thousands of flavors to choose from.
E-Juice typically contains a mixture of Propylene Glycol (PG), Vegetable Glycerin (VG), Distilled Water, Ethyl Alcohol, Nicotine and Flavoring or Extracts. For more information on Propylene Glycol (PG) and Vegetable Glycerin (VG), check out our Tutorial: Propylene Glycol (PG) vs. Vegetable Glycerin (VG) E-juice. Not all E-Juice has the same ratio of PG to VG mixture, and while some E-Juices use flavoring others may use extracts which are more complex and costly to produce. E-Juices vary from simple single flavors to complex multiple flavors that taste different from inhale, to exhale, and finally the after taste. Some uncommon ingredients like vitamins and caffeine have been infused into E-Juices too.
Economy VS Premium E-Juice:
Considering Propylene Glycol (PG) and Vegetable Glycerin (VG) are the two most common ingredients in E-Juice, they account for approximately 90% of the content in the bottle. The remaining 10% contains the nicotine and flavoring or extracts. Many economy E-Juices use food grade flavoring and package their E-Juice in plastic bottles. Premium E-Juices may use multiple food grade flavor extracts and package their E-Juices in glass bottles with fancy packaging. The quality of nicotine, single or multiple flavors, plastic or glass bottles, and complex flavor recipes all factor into the creation of an Economy or Premium E-Juice.
Steeping Your E-Juice:
Steeping your E-Juice is similar to letting a good wine age, and will typically bring out a deeper and smoother flavor over time. Shake your E-Juice well before steeping to make sure the mixture is completely homogenized. If your E-Juice flavor is on the strong side, you can remove the top cap and let the bottle breathe a bit to mellow the flavor. If your E-Juice flavor is on the weaker side, leave the top cap on and place the bottle in a dark cool place for a couple days or a full week. The last option is placing your E-Juice bottle in a warm water bath and repeating the process a few times once the water becomes room temperature.
The Reason Behind Dark E-Juice:
As E-Juice in a bottle ages, it will darken over time due to nicotine oxidation. The percentage of nicotine in your E-Juice also plays a large role as to how dark the E-Juice initially appears. Certain flavors or extracts can also tend to make your E-Juice darker. If you notice your E-Juice getting darker in your tank while you are vaping, this is most likely happening due to the wick and coil becoming caramelized and staining your E-Juice in the tank a darker color. This can also occur if your tank is getting hot between your vaping sessions and accelerating the nicotine oxidation process that would normally occur over time naturally.
E-Juice Storage Practices:
E-Juice is extremely sensitive to light and heat, and both will speed up the process of nicotine oxidation. Storing your E-Juice bottles in a dark cool dry place will slow this process down and preserve the original flavor longer. Extreme temperature changes can also affect E-Juices in a negative way, so don’t leave them in your car on extremely hot or cold days. For long term storage, you can safely store your E-Juice bottles in your refrigerator until you’re ready to vape them. Last but not least, glass bottles seem to be better than plastic for long term storage of your favorite E-Juice.
Leave a comment